Hair of the Dog Walk/Run/Plunge
January 1, 2024 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSES AT 5 PM ON 12/29/23
ONSITE REGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE ON 12/31/23 AT MANGO’S IN BETHANY BEACH
THERE WILL BE MINIMUM REGISTRATION AVAILABLE ON NEW YEAR’S DAY.
- MORE INFO
Ring in the 2024 New Year in the Quiet Resorts with a Run/Walk and Plunge. The Quiet Resorts Charitable Foundation (QRCF) proudly presents the 13th Annual Hair of the Dog 5K run/one mile walk and the 27th Annual Leo Brady Plunge! The 5K and 1 Mile walk start at 10 AM. The Leo Brady Plunge is at Noon. Please join us in celebrating the 2024 Hair of the Dog 5k run/one mile walk and Plunge! All pre-registered (by December 2, 2023)registrants will receive a commemorative long sleeve t-shirt with a cool refreshed design in their desired size (unisex Tech Tee Shirts).
NEW DESIGN for the 2024 SHIRT WILL BE LONG SLEEVE, WHITE TECH TEE SHIRT.
Online registration for these events closes Thursday, December 28, 2023, at 5 PM. Packet pick up will be on Saturday, December 31, 2023, from 1 – 4 PM at Mango’s in Bethany Beach. There will be onsite registration on Sunday, however, event shirts are not guaranteed unless you register by December 23rd. There will also be a Kiddie Dash just prior to the 5K start. Registration is not required for the Kiddie Dash. Event shirts for the Kiddie Dash participants should be purchased at the registration site. Register Here
- HAIR OF THE DOG RACE HIGHLIGHTS
How It Works
- Register – Choose your event: 5K Run/Walk or 1 Mile Walk, Plunge or a combination run/plunge or walk/plunge.
- Live Run/Walk/Plunge – Register online before December 15, 2022 and show up on New Years Day at the Bethany Beach boardwalk for the run, walk, plunge or combination run/plunge or walk/plunge.
- Run/Walk are at 10AM and the Plunge is at Noon on New Year’s Day.
LIVE 5K run, One Mile Walk, Plunge, or combination.
- Run/Walk along the streets of beautiful Bethany Beach, DE and finishing on the boardwalk overlooking the Atlantic Ocean
- The 5K is a chip timed event (chips are located on your bibs) by Races2Run Timing Systems
- Dogs are allowed on the 1 Mile Walk Only
- Splash into the cool Atlantic Ocean at Bethany Beach in the Leo Brady Plunge (you must have a wristband to participate in this event)
- Team Boathouse plungers registration will include: Transportation to and from The Boathouse to the plunge, Plunge registration, Event shirt, Team Boathouse giveaway, Liquid Courage, and unlimited nacho bar.
- Rain or shine event for all events (with the exception of lightening)
- Walkers permitted in the 1 Mile or 5K (No walker awards)
- Dog with Owners are permitted in the 1 Mile walk only. Please start in the back of the walkers
- Please have “doggy doo doo” bags with you and all messes must be cleaned up by the Owner
- Strollers must start at the back of the 5K field
- There are no refunds for any reason as these are charitable events.
- All Plungers must wear their wrist band to indicate affiliation with the event.
- Waivers must be signed for all participants.
- There will be lifeguards and is a “swim”/plunge at your own risk event.
LIVE 5K or 1 Mile Walk – At the Boardwalk in downtown Bethany Beach, Delaware
Online registration closes Thursday, December 29, 2023 at 5 pm. Event shirts are not guaranteed for registrations after December 14, 2022.
NOTE: THERE ARE NO REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON
Long-sleeve tech tee – NEW DESIGN FOR 2024 COMING SOON!
Post 5k & 1 Mile Walk Event Celebration at Mango’s in Bethany Beach from 10:30-Noon. (included in your registration, must wear your bib to enter) – The cost is $15 for non RUN/WALK participants. This includes beer for those over 21, snacks and to enjoy the Chili Cook Off sponsored by multiple local restaurants.
Post Leo Brady Plunge Event Celebration at The Boathouse in Bethany Beach. Your PLUNGE wristband will allow you to enjoy an awesome unlimited nacho bar and drink specials. The cost is $15 for non plunge participants. Note that The Boathouse is also open to the public for the holiday weekend during these hours:
Friday 3PM until.. DJ Hector will provide music starting at 8:00PM
Saturday Noon for lunch and dinner. Entertainment provided by Dale Teat at 8:00PM
Sunday (New Years Eve) opens at noon for lunch and dinner. Entertainment provided by DJ Hook at 9:00PM
Monday (New Years Day) – Boathouse Team breakfast at 10:00AM. Boathouse opens to the public at Noon. Entertainment by DJ Bump from 12:30 until 4:00PM. The Boathouse closes at 5:00PM
Share Your Race ResultsTracking with Runkeeper app
- To track with Runkeeper and automatically submit your results, Learn How
- RACE AND WALK FEES:
Note: All fees are non-refundable or transferable for any reason.
- 5K Registration – $30 and $35 after November 2, 2023 (Onsite registration is $40)
- 1 Mile Walk Registration – $25 and $30 after November 2, 2023 (Onsite registration is $35)
- Kiddie Dash – FREE (NO shirt or bibs)
- Plunge Only Registration – $35 (Onsite Registration is $40)
- Combination 1 Mile Walk and Plunge $45 and $50 after November 2, 2023 (Onsite Registration is $50)
- Combination 5K and Plunge $50 and $55 after November 2, 2023 (Onsite Registration is $60)
- Kids Plunge (16 and under) includes event shirt – $20
- Additional Event Shirts – $15
- Post Walk/Run Celebration at Mangos wristband for non Walk/Run participants – $15
- Post Plunge Celebration at The Boathouse wristband for non Plunge participants – $15
- Team Boathouse Plunger – $60
- AWARDS & RESULTS:
5K AWARDS (Live event only)
- 1st Place overall Male and Female
- 1st Place Masters Male and Female (50-59)
- 1st Place Grand Masters Male and Female (60-59)
- 1st Place Sr Grand Masters Male and Female (70+)
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place age group Male
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place age group Female
5K AGE GROUPS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
9 & under, 10-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
You must be present to receive your award. We do not ship awards.
- RACE AND WALK SCHEDULE:
Register – Online Only
Sunday, December 31, 2023
Time: 1PM – 4PM
*Packet pick-up at Mango’s on Garfield in Bethany Beach. Onsite registration with no guarantee of the availability of event shirts.
Monday, January 1, 2024 – Bethany Beach Bandstand Plaza
Time: 8:30am – 9:30am
*Event day packet pick-up – Limited onsite registration
*Mandatory Pre-Race/Walk meeting at the starting line
Time: 10 am
*National Anthem at the starting line
*HOD – 5K Starts at Parkwood and Atlantic Ave
*1 Mile Walk starts after the 5K at approximately 10:05
*HOD 5k Awards
Time: 11:00 – Noon
Post event celebration at Mango’s (Mangos’s is CLOSED to the public this weekend)
BETHANY BOATHOUSE- OPEN ALL NEW YEAR’S WEEKEND TO THE PUBLIC
27th Annual Leo Brady Plunge on the beach in front of the boardwalk/stage.
The Boathouse is open to the public. Registration to the plunge includes access to the unlimited nacho bar and drink specials at The Boathouse.
- Friday: Opens at 3PM – Entertainment by DJ Hector starting at 8PM
- Saturday: 12PM for lunch and dinner – Entertainment by Dale Teat starting at 8PM
- Sunday (New Years Eve) 12PM for lunch and dinner – Entertainment by DJ Hook starting at 9PM
- Monday (New Years Day) Team Boathouse breakfast at 11AM (Not open to the public). Opens to the public and plungers at Noon – Entertainment by DJ Bump from 12:30 until 4PM. The Boathouse closes at 5PM
WHO IS LEO BRADY?
The founder of the Plunge in 1997. The event was named after him in 2002. In 2010, the event was held in his honor. He was a father, a U.S. Army Veteran, a lifetime Chamber Member, and a 2001 Lighthouse Award recipient, volunteer, and friend of the community.
Not interested in plunging but still want to get involved?
Sign up to volunteer! All volunteer opportunities can be found here.
Need community service hours? Please be sure to bring the proper paperwork to be signed!
Thank You Sponsors!